Sunday, 12 July 2009

Rock Bottom Muscat

The recent incident covered by Muscat Confidential about the US Embassy banning official US personnel from the aptly named "Rock Bottom" has been causing quite a stir on the local forums.

Those poor bouncers!
Why are they being treated so harshly?
CCTV clearly shows that the "fully trained Marine" engaged in an unlawful assault on them.

Let me make this abundantly clear.
Rock Bottom bouncers are thugs: scum-of-the-earth, wastes of oxygen who have nothing better to do, then aspire to be "Bad Ass Niggas, y'all".

I have on occasion, happily dispatched members of said "crew" when they have decided to become a bit too overzealous when being in my general space.
But as I mentioned earlier, my fondest memory is seeing a US Navy SEAL defuse one of RB's meat-heads one night.

Meat-head

The problem with Rock Bottom is that there has always been a history of tension within its walls. The reason for the "racist" cover charge was because of the high number of sexual harassment incidents from certain ethnic groups.

Unfortunately, and maybe it is a cultural thing, a lot of Arab and Indian men seem to think that it is ok to make lewd comments at females or in many cases, to touch or make inappropriate advances on them - and while US and Europeans do cross that line also, it is clear from the experiences of females out on the town, that Arabs and Indians are the main offenders.
Young Omanis are particularly problematic, with the main reason being that they are so sexually frustrated and oppressed.

If you are on 120 rials a month, then spending 20% of your wages on a handjob from any one of the dozens of "Health Centres" in Muscat is a high price to pay for relief - much better to hit Rock Bottom and accost the Filipinas who go there - or even sadder still: park your car outside and wait for closing time so that you can shout "Hey Bitch! Five Rials, huh?" while you jerk your hand up and down out the window, hooting with your sad group of mates who are all in the same boat, only to then go off and amuse yourself at home with the Internet and a jar of Nivea.

Those who have enough luck or connections to get into Rock Bottom end up causing havoc with the girls who will usually run to, or get protected by the nearest Westerner within earshot who thinks that asking a girl to "fuck me in the bathroom" is not really gentlemanly conduct. (Trust me, I have heard this on many occasions.)

This then results in the usual exchange of words and as no self-respecting local bouncer is going to risk a wasta showdown with a distant relative or the nephew eight times removed of his father's keeper, said "guardian of the peace" has a go at the foreigner.

Please remember that the majority of pumped-up bovine impersonators "on the door" at Rock Bottom have come from the same sex-starved stock as the perpetrators on the dance floor - and in a mixture of ego and lack of direction have decided the best way to gain respect from the bruthas is to hit the gym and sadly for most, to insert additional testosterone into their veins.

Now, it doesn't take a genius to work out that if you can't handle your natural testosterone levels, throwing in a few units more is going to turn you into an anger and libido-driven fruitcake.
An irrational ego-maniac who gets their kicks out of trying to be "Da Man".
Couple that with no conflict resolution training and no desire to resolve conflict anyway - and you have the typical Rock Bottom mallet-head.

Invariably, someone comes along from time to time who really, and I mean REALLY knows how to handle themselves.......and well, we all know what happens next.

Rock Bottom: not worth the visit, but definitely worth the negative PR that it is getting.

13 comments:

Angry In Oman said...

This town, is coming like a ghost town
All the clubs have been closed down
This place, is coming like a ghost town
Bands won't play no more
too much fighting on the dance floor

Do you remember the good old days
Before the ghost town?
We danced and sang,
And the music played inna de boomtown

This town, is coming like a ghost town
Why must the youth fight against themselves?
Government leaving the youth on the shelf
This place, is coming like a ghost town
No job to be found in this country
Can't go on no more
The people getting angry

This town, is coming like a ghost town

-The Specials.

This song was playing while I was reading your blog and I found it fitting for the topic. It's a good song. I like it. You should try dancing to it, it's fun.

I got my ass grabbed in Rock Bottom. My husband calls it Cock Bottom.

He has a crazy bouncer story of his own.

I've had some Malibu and now feel the need to apologize...

Drunk and posting lyrics...

It's good that you wrote this JD.

Very excellant post.

fred_says said...

where can I see the CCTV of the bouncer getting his a*** kicked!

Jet Driver said...

Angry:

The Specials - brilliant!

fred:

There have been numerous "threats" to show edited and biased CCTV footage of the bad Marine hitting the defenseless chief of "security" at Rock Bottom.

But as I said on a local forum, the CCTV only gives you a very small facet of what really happened.

JD

Qurious in Qurum said...

And is it just that I can't find it, or has the Facebook page threatening to reveal the video disappeared?

Quriouser and Quriouser...

Jamilla Camel said...

Hey, I've gotten inappropriate stares and drooling at the LuLu and my local Carrefour. Trust me, I think that these incidents would have been much worse had I not been with my 6'5" other half!! The local males look like they've never seen a pair of DD's outside a Burka!

We are part-time residents at the Wave, and I think we shall be cooking at lot at home, IYKWIM.

Jet Driver said...

Jamilla

Enjoy your stay in Oman :)

JD

Jamilla Camel said...

Jet Driver: Now that we're part time residents in Oman...perhaps we shall meet some day....

Jet Driver said...

Jamilla

You will soon learn that Jet Driver's identity must remain secret if his blog is to continue.

As with all of my readers, I shall be with you in spirit.

JD

Jamilla Camel said...

JD: I understand. That's why I'm a camel!

محمد "ابن الرحبي" الرحبي said...

All right All

Yes Rock Bottom is a shite hole, Honest went there once with my Mates and I almost got into a fight with the Bouncer just 'caused I asked where there is no Taxi.

Will just stick to the Boat Club Aviation Club and John Bary Bar and no more Al Ghazal for 3 months at least. tired of seeing the same people every day.

Sythe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sythe said...

I hear that last comment محمد "ابن الرحبي" الرحبي - I'm tired of seeing the same people every time I hit the bars too!

I've found that if you have a designated driver, the Blue Marlin at the Marina is a good place to get sloshed :)

Amber said...

see..I go away and all sorts of fun things happen!

Actually, I've never been to rock bottom. Doesn't seem like too appealing a place. And ladies - really?! If you go to places like these, learn to take care of yourselves...don't hide behind some western man...learn to crack some nuts.