Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Airport Car-Park Hell

Aren't the new machines in the airport car-park just dandy?
No more waiting for fifteen minutes for the man, who should have been sitting in the booth instead of shooting the shit in Costa Coffee with his mates, to come and bash the old barriers to make it open.

Instead we have ACS Parking Systems in place!
A company who are dab hands at making trouble-free parking zones. They even have a registration plate detection system at some airports around the world so that staff and aircrew can enter and exit without a ticket. Wonderful!

They claim that the use of their systems will help to reduce the long queues that we have been seeing at Muscat International Airport for the past few years, due to the high-level reliability of their systems.

But there was one thing that they did not factor in to their queue reduction plan.....the high number of twats in Oman.
Now before the regular window-lickers start thinking that this is a witch hunt for Omanis and Indians - it is not. I have seen an eclectic mix of idiots doing this over the past two weeks.

The initial problem is this: There are no buttons on the new machines. None. It's all pressure sensors on the front panel which is smooth like glass.
Jet Driver likes to stand beside the unit in the evenings when he is in need of amusement.

Typical scenario follows:
Drive up to the unit and stare at it.
Screen says: "Press to receive ticket".
The area to press is marked in a circle and is flashing like a Christmas tree!

Driver (while trying to push the screen): "Where's the button?" Two cars now behind.
Driver: "Huh? Press where?" Three.
Passenger: "It says the button" Five.
Driver: "There's none. It's not....." Beeep beeeeeeeeeep! Seven apoplectic drivers now.
Driver: It must be broken. I'll press the Help b......where's the Help button?!" Ten. Beeeep!
Driver: "I know! Why didn't I think of this stroke of genius before? I'll reverse out! There must be another way to get into......" BEEEEEP!

And a whole new level of chaos is born!

Well thought out guys!
Must be the Lulu Car Park Consultancy Service again!

9 comments:

scarlet pimpernel said...

Why dont you put a up a notice saying" Touch the flash " or some thing like that.

Jet Driver said...

SP:

"Why dont you put a up a notice saying" Touch the flash " or some thing like that."

What?....and spoil all the fun?!

JD

Bobby said...

LOL! I am so eager to see these things..

you remind of the confusion ppl had with touch sensitve taps in Hyderabad airport

scarlet pimpernel said...

Hmmmm go to bangalore! Catch the fun watching first timers using the touch screen atm.

Jet Driver said...

What it something I said?......maybe!

The staff of the airport have now placed little green stickers on the machine to simulate a "button" for twats to press.

UD

Becky said...

I have just come across your blog and wanted to say thank you so much. I haven't laughed as much in ages. I've been reading some of your back posts and have been so amused by them I have had to pass the computer around amongst my friends.

Please keep up the good work - we all need a good laugh at the place we call home sometimes !

Jet Driver said...

Becky

Welcome to my life :)

JD

Conan said...

Must have been a sweet deal for the new ticket payment machines also... they don't take 500Bz notes... and I didn't realise that the french community in Muscat was that big (take a look at the machines and you'll see what I mean!)

martha said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://3128proxy.com